Bamboo Chicken -A delicacy from Tribal Araku Valley
Bamboo Chicken is a traditional tribal cuisine of Araku Valley Tribals near Vizag, locally known as “Bongulo Chicken” or Bamboo Chicken. Chicken is cooked inside a piece of green bamboo stalk with using minimal oil to making it healthy but delicious. Most of the herbs used are found locally giving it a unique taste.
If you want to make the famous Araku Valley Bamboo Chicken at home then
follow these steps:
Ingredients you will need to make Bamboo / Bongulu Chicken:
Chicken skinless – 500 gram ( cut into small pieces).
Salt to taste.
Red chilly powder -1 tsp.
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp.
Ginger Paste -1tsp.
Garlic paste -1tsp.
Garam masala Powder-1tsp.
Oil- 2 tsp
Chopped onions -2
Chopped Green chilies- As per taste
Chicken masala powder-1 tsp
- Add all ingredients to the chicken and marinte it .
- After marination , stuff the chicken and other ingredients into the washed hollow bamboo shoots and close the open end with leaves.
- Put the Bamboo on open flame and keep frequently rotating (gently rotate) every few minutes for proper cooking on all the sides.
- When cooking of chicken is completed you will start to feel the lingering aroma. Take it out and serve it with by adding some lemons and coriander sprinkling ,onions and green chillies to make the taste even more fiery.
NOTE: The taste may not be authentic as the tribals use local herbs etc. that may not be available in the city, plus they make the chicken on open wood / coal flames and not on the gas burner.
Stuffed Brinjal Curry
Stuffed Brinjal Curry from Andhra Cuisine commonly known as Gutti Vankaya curry.This recipe is very great with Plain Rice and with Roti also.To Prepare this Recipe ,Brinjals which are tender those not have seeds are best and suitable. This Stuffed Brinjal Curry made with Peanuts,Coconut,Onions and basic Spices.
Ingredients: (Serves for 4 )
- Brinjals : 10
- Onions : 2
- Ginger Garlic Paste : 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves : 1 Spring.
- Coriander Leaves : as needed.
- Lemon Juice : As Needed ( Optional -Tamarind Pulp)
- Coconut : 1/4 Cup (Grated) Roasted.
- Peanuts : 1/4 Cup Roasted.
- Sesame Seeds : 2 tsp Roasted.
- Cumin Seeds : 1/2 tsp Roasted.
- Coriander Powder : 1 tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder : As you Needed ( depends on spicy you required)
- Oil : 3 tsp.
- Salt : As You Needed.
Stuffed Brinjal Curry Preparation:
- Take 1 tsp oil and heat it and saute onions and Ginger Garlic paste.
- Add Chilli Powder ,Coriander Powder and Salt to the Onion & Ginger Garlic paste.
- Blend the above mixture by adding Coconut grated,Peanuts & Sesame Seeds to Coarse Paste and add lemon Juice or Tamarind Juice .
- Taste the Mixture and add Salt & Chili for adjusting taste as per
- Stuff the Mixture into the Washed & Silted Brinjals and keep some mixture for making Gravy.
- Heat a Pan by adding 2 tsp oil and add Stuffed Brinjals and Curry leaves, fry until cooked (flip brinjals occasionally)
- Add the Remind mixture and some water to make gravy, finally at last add some cream and Stuffed Brinjal Curry is Ready ….Serve it with rice and enjoy.